Called North Beach because (surprisingly!) it’s at the North end of this great seaside town, it’s easy to spot as the one with the big rock in the middle.
Overlooked by Tenby town centre we usually find it a bit quieter than the others and because it faces East, it gets the full benefit of the sun for most of the day.
As well as great views out to sea you get one of the best views of the harbour from here too. We always find it hard to resist going over to have a bit of an explore. Doing this (when the tide is out) will bring you to Harbour beach.
How to get to Tenby North Beach
Tenby is in Pembrokeshire, the western most county in Wales. Way beyond the Western end of the M4 it’s very well signposted as you get closer.
From the East – Cardiff/Swansea
- Take the M4 West to it’s end at Pont Abraham services
- Take the A48 to Carmarthen from this roundabout, and
- At Carmarthen take the A40 for St. Clears.
- At the St. Clears roundabout take the first exit for the A477, signposted Tenby.
- Stay on this road until you get to Kilgetty.
- At the Kilgetty roundabout take the first exit (A478) towards Tenby.
- At New Hedges, go straight straight ahead at the roundabout and stay on this road until you reach Tenby. (For directions to the car park see below).
- Tenby is approximately 18 miles from St. Clears (a drive of approximately 26 minutes).
From the North – Aberystwyth
- Take the A487 to Cardigan and then the A478 towards Crymych.
- Stay on the A478 until you get to, what is known locally as, Penblewyn Roundabout.
- At the roundabout take the second exit (straight ahead) to Narberth.
- Tenby is well signposted from Narberth. Follow the one-way system in Narberth until you can bear left on the hill towards Templeton
- Pass through the village of Templeton and Folly Farm Park before reaching Begelly/Kilgetty.
- Pass straight through the two roundabouts and stay on the A478.
- At New Hedges again, go straight ahead at the roundabout and you will reach Tenby after around 1.5 miles. (For directions to the car park see below).
- Tenby is approximately 6 miles from Kilgetty (a drive of approximately 12 minutes)
Where to park for Tenby North Beach
The nearest car park to the beach is the huge North Beach car park which is just a little bit of a walk away. Even though there are over 200 spaces here, our advice would be to get one early. Especially at peak times and/or when the weather is good.
One other tip is to save a bit of energy for the climb back up the steps at the end of your stay.
- Having got to the outskirts of Tenby (Narberth Road) take the first left off the first roundabout.
- Stay on this road until you reach the bottom of the hill and the entrance to the car park (Gas Lane) will be on your left. It is sign posted Doctors Surgery, Tenby Cottage Hospital and North Beach car park.
- Turn left and drive past the Hospital, small café and public conveniences, and the car park is ahead.
- From the car park, and just after the Coach Parking Bays on the right hand side of the car park, there are a set of steps which take you up through the trees and on to The Croft. A little short cut to get to the Beach and town.
Map Ref. SN 13254 01220
Facilities at Tenby North Beach
Just one of the things we love about Tenby North Beach is the café that’s right on it. Selling a good range of most of the hot and cold refreshments you’d expect at a beach cafe. As well as some you wouldn’t.
For more choice, Tenby town centre, with it’s great range of shops, cafes and restaurants, is a steep but short walk away.
Next to the cafe are public conveniences which, at the time of writing, are free of charge.
You can also hire deck chairs or watercraft here.
Where to stay near Tenby North Beach
The nearest places to stay are on The Croft, the street which actually overlooks the beach. But there is an absolute abundance of accommodation all over Tenby from B&Bs and guesthouses to Hotels and Self-catering options.
If you find somewhere within Tenby town centre itself you’re not going to be more than a few minutes walk from Tenby North Beach
We always check out what’s available where at Booking.com
More information about Tenby
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Clicking on them will result in no additional cost to you but may earn us a small commision.