At around a mile and a half long, Tenby South Beach is a huge stretch of golden sand at the South end of Tenby. Backed by dunes, this is a great place to chill out and relax and, even though it’s popular, you should have no problem finding your very own socially distanced spot.
Overlooked by The Esplanade, it’s also directly along to the south of Castle Beach. You can walk between them when the tide’s out so there’s a bit of a 2 for 1 kind of deal going on.
There are lots of great vistas in Tenby but the ones from The Esplanade are up there with the very best.
From here you get fantastic views right down Tenby South Beach, out to Caldey Island, St Catherine’s Island and as far as the bandstand on Castle Hill.
There are so many places to sit here as well. Benches on the top, benches down below and benches on the way down below.
Tenby South Beach is accessible and convenient with 2 car parks in close proximity (one almost on the beach itself).
How to get to Tenby South Beach
Tenby is in Pembrokeshire, the western most county in Wales. Way beyond the Western end of the M4 it’s very well signposted as you get closer.
From the East – Cardiff/Swansea
- Take the M4 West to it’s end at Pont Abraham services
- Take the A48 to Carmarthen from this roundabout, and
- At Carmarthen take the A40 for St. Clears.
- At the St. Clears roundabout take the first exit for the A477, signposted Tenby.
- Stay on this road until you get to Kilgetty.
- At the Kilgetty roundabout take the first exit (A478) towards Tenby.
- At New Hedges, go straight ahead at the roundabout and stay on this road until you reach Tenby. (For directions to the car park see below).
- Tenby is approximately 18 miles from St. Clears (a drive of approximately 26 minutes).
From the North – Aberystwyth
- Take the A487 to Cardigan and then the A478 towards Crymych.
- Stay on the A478 until you get to, what is known locally as, Penblewyn Roundabout.
- At the roundabout take the second exit (straight ahead) to Narberth.
- Tenby is well signposted from Narberth. Follow the one-way system in Narberth until you can bear left on the hill towards Templeton
- Pass through the village of Templeton and Folly Farm Park before reaching Begelly/Kilgetty.
- Pass straight through the two roundabouts and stay on the A478.
- At New Hedges again, go straight ahead at the roundabout and you will reach Tenby after around 1.5 miles. (For directions to the car parks see below).
- Tenby is approximately 6 miles from Kilgetty (a drive of approximately 12 minutes)
Where to park for Tenby South Beach
There are two car parks close to Tenby South Beach, one almost on the beach itself and one at the top of the hill overlooking it. Both are pay and display.
Rectory Park car park
Battery Road car park
Facilities at Tenby South Beach
There’s a bar & restaurant right next to the Battery Road car park which overlooks Tenby South Beach. It’s a fantastic place for food with a view and there’s also a beach shack selling snacks in the same location.
For more choice, Tenby town centre, with it’s great range of shops, cafes and restaurants, is a short walk away.
There are public conveniences in Battery Road car park for which there is a charge.
Where to stay near Tenby South Beach
The nearest places to stay are on The Esplanade, the street which actually overlooks the beach. The sea-views from here are really difficult to beat.
There’s also an abundance of accommodation all over Tenby from B&Bs and guesthouses to Hotels and Self-catering options.
If you find somewhere within Tenby town centre itself you’re not going to be more than a few minutes walk from Tenby South Beach
We always check out what’s available where at Booking.com
More information about Tenby
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Clicking on them will result in no additional cost to you but may earn us a small commision.